Episode 26 Doctor Money Matters.
This is part 2 of Episode 25. Written content below is the same.
Welcome to another Doctor Money Matters episode. This is a double episode with guests in 2 separate locations in Texas. I split the conversation into 2 separate episodes (25 and 26) so please make sure you listen to both. I interviewed David Anderson, DO and Victor Mangona, MD, 2 of the most detailed oriented and helpful members of the various physician finance facebook groups including the Doctor Money Matters group. There was a little technical issue with David’s audio so it may not perfectly clear, but bear with it as the content discussed today is pure gold.
In this episode we go into detail about many of the concepts repeatedly discussed on these various forums.
- Tax rates (Effective vs Marginal)
- Paying down debt vs investing.
- Using a 529 plan to establish a legacy of education for future generations
- Cryptocurrency. To be fair this interview occurred while we were near the height of the mania earlier this year.
- The necessity vs the value of paying for financial advice. When should you pay for advice?
- We also discussed an interesting idea about medical schools paying for disability and life insurance for their students after hearing about a sad story in which a young medical student passed away on the interview trail. The GoFundMe page is no longer active and ended up raising $304K. Victor also outlined a strategy for how to use the funds to generate income for the family.
I hope you enjoyed this double episode and hearing the voice of 2 people who have provided valuable and detailed information to many of us in my group and many of the other forums for physicians. I know I have benefited from their well thought out analysis and explanations and I am that will continue.
Remember we are not professional planners (though David is working on that) and our discussion and recommendations may not be appropriate for everyone. Please do your own due diligence prior to acting on any topics discussed on this and any episodes of this podcast.
Please continue to let your friends, students, colleagues know about this podcast by sharing it on text, or whatever social media platform you are on and please leave positive reviews. It really does help a lot. I know its not the easiest thing to leave a review, so on iTunes/Apple Podcast via your iPhone just find the show and scroll down to where it says Tap to leave a review and put in the number of stars you feel appropriate (5 stars are the best).
You can follow me on twitter @drmoneymatters
Please consider joining the Doctor Money Matters Facebook group.
Thanks for listening and please leave us positive reviews and continue to share this podcast with your colleagues.
Some other physician hosted podcasts that I recommend are:
There are many others, so please support your physician colleagues.