In this episode I talk with Bob Collins of the Medicus Firm, a physician recruitment firm. Bob has spent many years in this field and gives great insight into the job hunt. Many physicians now use a recruiter to help with searching for the right job.
We talk about the job market and what is hot right now in the medical field, what can a recruiter do for you, and some of the tips he has gained from years in this field. Primary care and psychiatrists seem to be in major demand.
Whether you choose to use a recruiter or not, I think it is valuable to know what they can do for you. In my opinion, using a recruiter is much like using a financial advisor or real estate agent, you can do this yourself, but having someone help guide you may help prevent mistakes in this process.
Key points in this episode
- Start the process early, particularly if you are in a field that may not be in as much demand.
- Involve your significant other in the process. Many times a job maybe fine, but the situation is not great because your partner is unhappy with the location.
- Salary is only one component of a great job. Location and work environment are the other big factors. It can be hard to get all three in one situation. You should weigh how important each of these factors are to you and your family before selecting a position
- Use all the resources at your disposal to find the job that is your best fit.
- Stipends and loan repayment are starting to become more common again for in demand fields.
Remember your first job is likely not the one you will stay with forever as healthcare is not immune to the rapid workplaces changes in most fields. Keep up with the job market even if you are in a good situation currently.
You can find out more about The Medicus Firm at www.themedicusfirm.com
More episodes of this podcast are available at www.doctormoneymatters.com
Thanks for listening and please continue to share with your colleagues.
Leave a Reply